With London Fashion Week fast approaching it’s that time of year again when the shops are filling with A/W 13 pieces, yet the catwalks will be showcasing next season’s much anticipated spring/summer collections. Yes It’s time to get in your heels and head to Somerset House in the UK capital!
Image Source: Pinterest
Fashion week is an exclusive opportunity to view next season’s stunning collections. From Celine to Mulberry, London Fashion Week displays clothing from the world’s top designers, so it’s an event worthy of making it in every fashion maven’s diary. But when choosing outfits for the week, it’s important to get it right, ensuring you choose essentials that are both practical yet polished.
London Fashion Week is the perfect opportunity to combine both travel AND style. With the most stylish street style looks on display during this time, this renowned fashion showcase gives you the chance to reflect your personality, creativity and any key trends which have caught your eye.
We have compiled a list of London Fashion Week tips and a selection of go-to outfits, from classic and preppy to modern and edgy.
Top tips for preparing for Fashion Week:
1) Always allow yourself to incorporate flat shoes in to your fashion week wardrobe, giving you extra comfort when making your way to your next show
2) If heels are a must, which let’s be honest are usually the go-to shoe for fashion week, try to pick a stylish yet relaxed pair
3) Take a good quality camera to ensure you capture the shows collections and any back stage pictures (If you’re lucky!)
4) If you are reporting, remember to take a note book and pen as it’s always great to jot down specific details of collections to allow yourself to reflect on the stylistic details when writing your piece
5) Remember to dress accordingly for the weather, take a chic coat or light-weight jacket in case the weather decides to change (English weather and all!)
6) When choosing your outfits, remember to be yourself, although fashion week represents an eclectic mix of International styles, stay true to what reflects your personality and then you can’t go wrong
7) For any extra snapping or twitter and instagram updates, your smart phone with a well charged battery is a must and always remember business cards as LFW offers the perfect networking opportunity
8) Dressing for fashion week is the perfect opportunity for spontaneity, but try and plan outfits and your journeys as the shows won’t wait for you!
9) If you won’t be able to head back to freshen up, take mini wet wipes, perfume and your makeup essentials so you can keep your look polished all day
10) And most importantly, enjoy!
London Fashion Week Outfit Ideas
This is a lovely example of a classic, ladylike ensemble which oozes style yet still has a contemporary edge. Team a floaty midi skirt like this Topshop Boutique Berry floral silk printed skirt with a simple vest or roll neck, a statement jacket, elegant pointed stiletto’s and an oversized bag. Pair with tousled locks and a nude or berry lip for an instant pop of colour.
For a sophisticated, smart yet super stylish look all rolled into one, try teaming classic black skinny jeans with a masculine coat to nail the seasons oversized outerwear trend. Try it with a classic grey marl tee and then add colour by accessorising with this vibrant coral clutch and Topshop lipstick. Add an essence of elegance with a simple black sandal to bring the whole look together. A pulled back low bun or tousled waves would complete this look perfectly.
If you’re looking to inject a preppy undertone into your fashion week wardrobe, look no further than Zara for pieces worthy of taking the runway spotlight, like this boxy checked blazer. Add classic pieces like a pair of comfortable indigo jeans, a cool city bag and a minimal white shirt; then jazz it up with these stunning silver metallic tasseled flats for extra style points.
For an extra glam look, try an exaggerated midi skirt with an elegant silhouette in a sweet pastel shade like the Organza Topshop mesh insert midi below. Toughen your look up with a relaxed, boxy black tee, a chunky gold necklace, statement black accessories and a slick of red lipstick. A biker jacket or a structured blazer are the perfect pick-me-up’s for a blustery cold day and will add contemporary edge.
If you’re heading to London Fashion Week then tweet us at @fashionsonvacay to share your top tips and outfit inspiration.